GENESEO N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo junior back Greg Baumstein scored what proved to be the winning goal in the 62nd minute to lead the Knights to a 2-1 victory over visiting Morrisville on Friday at College Stadium.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Morrisville was whistled for a handball in the box six minutes into the game. Geneseo senior forward Joey Vucic slotted home the ensuing penalty kick attempt into the bottom leftt corner to give the Knights a 1-0 lead.
- In the 62nd minute, Baumstein took control of a loose ball just outside the six-yard box and drove a hard shot inside the upper-right corner of the Mustang goal to double the Geneseo lead.
- Morrisville pulled to within one goal in the 67th minute when senior forward Julian Rodriguez drew and converted a penalty shot after being taken down inside the box.
- Geneseo outshot the Mustangs 19-9, including an 8-3 advantage in shots on goal.
- Sophomore goalkeeper Dylan Medd saved two shots to earn his second victory of the year.
- The Knights improve to 6-1 in home openers in over the past seven years, with their only loss of that streak coming in 2016 to Clarkson, 1-0.
- The Knights return to action on Saturday, September 9th as they host Skidmore at 6:00 p.m.
Video Interview with Head Coach Dominic Oliveri and junior Greg Baumstein