ERIE, Pa. - SUNY Geneseo sophomore goalkeeper Dillon Medd made five saves, but the Knights took their first loss of the season, a 1-0 double-overtime defeat at the hands of Penn State Behrend in the championship game of the Herb Lauffer Memorial Tournament on Sunday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo's best chance in regulation came in the first few minutes. Senior midfielder Reidis Lata drilled a shot from 20 yards out, but it struck the right goal post and deflected away.
- In the second half, Medd was called into action, making a crucial save on a direct kick from within 25 yards. The shot was curling toward the top corner at the far post, but Medd parried it away and collected it to squelch the Lions' opportunity.
- Senior forward Joey Vucic had a quality chance in the first minutes of overtime, but his shot was deflected by a defender just over the crossbar.
- Penn State Behrend finally found the net in the 104th minute, scoring on a curling left-footed strike to the far post, giving the Lions a 1-0 lead.
- The match marked the first overtime game for Geneseo since Oct. 5, 2016, a 0-0 draw against RIT. The Knights' last overtime loss came at Buffalo State on Sept. 23, 2016.
- Geneseo moves to 1-4-1 against Penn State Behrend in program history. The team's only win against the Lions came in 2015, a 2-1 victory.
- The Knights were outshot 11-10, placing three shots on goal.
Geneseo (1-1-0) will return to College Stadium to host Morrisville State in the team's home opener on Friday, Sept. 8.