THROGGS NECK, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo sophomore attackman James Pratt scored five goals, including the game-winner in the final seconds, and dished off three assists to lead the Knights to a 14-13 victory over host SUNY Maritime in the season opener on Saturday.
With the game tied at 13-13, Pratt sprinted from behind the net, roll-dodging past a defender toward the crease and shot high past the goalie's stick to put the Knights ahead with just four seconds remaining.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Knights scored the first two goals of the game, but Maritime responded with four unanswered to finish the first quarter. The Privateers added another goal in the second, but the Knights rallied back within one as Pratt and junior attackman Dillon Rogers rattled the cage with consecutive goals to close the first half, cutting the lead to 5-4 at the break.
- Geneseo finally pulled level in the second half when sophomore midfielder Cameron Chiodo netted a goal to make it 7-7 with 4:21 to play in the third quarter. Chiodo's strike came as part of a 4-0 Knights run that gave Geneseo a 9-7 lead, but the Privateers scored before the end of the third period to draw within one, 9-8.
- In the fourth quarter, the two teams battled back and forth, but Maritime took a 13-12 lead on a man-up goal with 2:30 to play. With only 1:08 to play, Pratt struck to tie the game off a 10-yard shot from the left side. Geneseo first-year midfielder Ryan Lee won the ensuing faceoff to give the Knights a chance for the game-winner. Geneseo worked the ball around the offensive zone before finding Pratt for the go-ahead goal.
- Sophomore attackman Matt Malone, sophomore midfielder Jake Bucci and first-year midfielder Chris Martello each scored twice while junior goalkeeper Tyler Wetzel made eight saves in net.
- The Knights won 18 out of 31 face-offs as Lee finished with all 18 face-off wins and a team-high nine ground balls. Sophomore defender Tyler Bushnell finished with a team-high three caused turnovers while Pratt finished with two.
- Geneseo has now won five-straight season-openers, dating back to the 2015 season.
Geneseo will travel to No. 17 Ithaca to face the Bombers on Saturday, March 2 with game time scheduled for 12:00 p.m.