Apr 28, 2018
GENESEO, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo closed the 2018 season with a 10-6 setback to visiting Plattsburgh in State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) men's lacrosse, Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo held a 4-0 lead with 11:00 to play in the second quarter, including a 3-0 edge after 15 minutes of play. Tallies by senior attackman Ryan Kelly at 14:00, first-year attackman Connor Smith at 7:25 and senior midfielder Luke Jordan at 5:07 accounted for all the first-quarter scoring.
- Sophomore attackman Matt Malone converted a Smith feed for the Knights' fourth goal, but the Cardinals (6-8, 5-1 SUNYAC) put together a 5-0 run, including two-unanswered tallies to close the first half, to forge a 5-4 lead with 9:32 on the third-quarter clock.
- Back-to-back goals by Geneseo senior midfielder Alex Leuze at 6:29 and sophomore Dillon Rogers at 5:30 put the Knights back on top, 6-5.
- Plattsburgh finished the game with five unanswered goals, including four in the fourth quarter, to clinch the win and wrap-up the second seed for next week's SUNYAC Tournament.
- Senior goalie Michael Yehl totaled 13 saves in his final game with the Knights.
- Geneseo finished the season with a 7-7 record, including a 2-4 SUNYAC mark to fall one game short of its second-straight postseason appearance.
- The eight members of the Class of 2018 were celebrated in a pre-game Senior Day Ceremony, including Yehl, defenseman Ryan Cates, midfielder Andrew Cummings, defenseman Chris Dunn, midfielder Mark Friske, attackman Luke Jordan, attackman Ryan Kelly and midfielder Alex Leuze.