GENESEO, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo senior midfielder Andrew Cummings totaled three goals and an assist while sophomore attackman Dillon Rogers added three goals to lead the Knights to a 9-8 victory over visiting St. John Fisher in men's lacrosse action, Monday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Cummings and Rogers scored back-to-back goals in a two-minute span to put Geneseo up, 2-0, with 7:20 left in the first period. The Cardinals got one back with 3:28 remaining, before Rogers tallied with 11 seconds on the clock to push the Knights to a 3-1 lead after the first quarter.
- St. John Fisher opened the second with a goal at 13:43 before Cummings gave Geneseo a 4-2 lead at 6:50 it carried into halftime.
- Rogers opened the third quarter with a tally at 11:26 but a 4-0 run gave the Cardinals a 6-5 lead at 6:07. Knights' first-year attackman Connor Griffin scored a man-down goal with 1:35 left in the period to tie the game, 6-6, heading into the final quarter.
- Senior midfielder Alex Leuze kicked off a 3-0 Geneseo spurt with a goal at 13:22. Tallies by Cummings at 12:15 and first-year attackman Tim Fallo at 8:13 gave the Knights a three-goal cushion that proved to be the difference.
- St. John Fisher scored twice in the final five minute of play to pull within one, but Geneseo held on for the victory.
- Griffin finished the afternoon with a goal and two assists.
- Sophomore goalie Tyler Wetzel totaled eight saves to improve to 3-1 this spring.
- Senior defenseman Ryan Cates caused a team-high three turnovers while picking up three ground balls.
Geneseo travels to Brockport on Wednesday (Apr. 11) for a 4:00 p.m. face-off with the Golden Eagles.