GENESEO, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo junior captain Conlan Keenan totaled a career-high six points on three goals and three assists to lead the No. 4/6 Knights to a 9-0 victory over Morrisville in State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) men's ice hockey, Friday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Senior defenseman Mitch Ferguson flicked a puck on goal from the point that deflected off Morrisville goalie Jorgen Johnson's pads. Keenan collected a short rebound in front and backhanded a short pass to senior forward Andrew Romano for a finish just under the crossbar with 10:02 on the first-period clock.
- Three minutes later, Keenan dug the puck off the boards and passed to junior forward David Szmyd in the slot, who found senior defenseman Duggie Lagrone on the backside for a one-timer past Johnson.
- Senior defenseman Cam Russell cleared the Knights' zone with a pass to first-year forward Brendan Miller. First-year forward Ryan Burnett streaked forward to take a feed behind the Mustang defense and slip a diving shot under Johnson's glove at 6:33 to give the Knights a 3-0 lead at the first intermission.
- Nine minutes into the second period, Keenan sent a pass behind the Mustang net to Lagrone, who scored from a tough angle.
- Following a Morrisville tripping penalty, Ferguson fired a pass in front from the corner to Romano, who tapped the puck to Keenan in the slot for an open-net wrister at the 7:10 mark to give the Knights a 5-0 lead after two period.
- Just over four minutes into the third period, Keenan got loose behind the Morrisville defense off a feed from Lagrone and finished the breakaway opportunity with a nice top-shelf, stick-side goal.
- With the Knights skating a man down, junior defenseman Teddy McCabe stripped a puck from a Morrisville forward in the Geneseo zone and broke out alone to beat Johnson with a shot under his blocker for the short-handed tally at 7:57.
- Two minutes later, Romano collected a loose puck behind the Mustang goal and shoveled it to Keenan in front, who completed his third career hat-trick in a Knights' uniform.
- First-year defenseman Chris Perna took a feed from senior forward Joe Serpico in the right face-off circle and skated into the slot to score his first collegiate goal on a wrist-shot inside the left post with 12 second left in regulation.
- Keenan's notched a pair of hat-tricks during the 2016-17 campaign, including a four-point effort in the Knights' 8-0 win over visiting Potsdam (Feb. 18) that was his previous career-high. He currently has scored 90 career points on 47 goals and 43 assists over the last three seasons.
- Geneseo finished the game with a 45-12 shot advantage.
- Senior Devin McDonald made 12 saves to become the first Knight to accumulate 10 career shutouts.
Geneseo and Morrisville square off again on Saturday (Nov. 17) at 4:00 p.m.