PLATTSBURGH, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo junior forwards Tyson Empey and David Szmyd each scored power play goals but the Knights fell to host Plattsburgh, 3-2, in State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) action on Friday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo fell behind in the first period when the Cardinals created a two-on-one break after a neutral zone turnover. McDonald saved the first shot on the breakaway, but couldn't keep out the rebound as the hosts pulled ahead, 1-0.
- The Cardinals added to their lead in the second period, capitalizing on a Geneseo penalty to make it 2-0.
- In the third period, Plattsburgh scored another insurance goal on a power play to make it 3-0 with just under five minutes to play.
- The Knights finally got on the board when Szmyd scored a power play goal off assists from junior forwards Conlan Keenan and Andrew Romano with 3:44 to play.
- Just 33 seconds later, Empey added a power play tally to cut the lead to one goal with 3:11 to go in the game.
- The Knights pulled their goalie for an extra attacker in the final seconds but could not find the net for the tying goal.
- Empey scored his team-high seventh goal of the season and his fifth on the power play. Szmyd netted his third tally of the year, his first power play goal of the season.
- The Knights (3-1-1, 1-1-1 SUNAC) outshot the Cardinals, 40-25.
- Senior goalkeeper Devin McDonald finished with 22 saves.
Geneseo will return to the ice on Saturday night when they travel to face SUNYAC rival Potsdam.