FREDONIA, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo junior forward Tyson Empey scored two goals and added an assist to lead the No. 3 Knights to a 6-1 victory at Fredonia in State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) men's ice hockey action, Friday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Empey put the Knights on the board 1:30 into the contest and scored a power-play tally less than four minutes later.
- Junior forward Conlan Keenan scored a short-handed tally with 7:25 on the first-period clock before first-year forward Ryan Burnett notched his first collegiate goal less than a minute later as Geneseo carried a 4-0 lead into the second period.
- Fredonia scored with 14:55 left in the second period, but the Knights re-took a four goal edge on a power-play tally by senior defenseman Mitch Ferguson with 3:17 on the clock.
- In the third period, junior defenseman Cam Russell notched a goal with 6:09 left in regulation to close the scoring.
- Geneseo has out-scored its first three opponents of the season by a combined 24-1 margin.
- Senior goalie Devin McDonald made 23 saves to become the first net minder in program history to win 50 games, compiling a 50-12-11 record to date.
- The Knights finished the game with a 41-24 edge in shots.
- Empey leads the Knights with six goals and nine points this season.
- Geneseo won at Fredonia for the first time in three seasons while taking down the Blue Devils in a rematch of the 2018 SUNYAC Championship game won by the host Knights, 7-1.
Geneseo hosts SUNYAC-rival Buffalo State on Saturday (Nov. 3) at 7:00 p.m. in its home-opener.