BUFFALO, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo sophomore forward David Szmyd scored in the final minute of the first period, but it was host Buffalo State coming back to earn a 1-1 tie with the No. 8/9 Knights, Friday, in State University of New York Athletic Conference men's ice hockey action.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Szmyd took a feed through the low slot from sophomore forward Conlan Keenan and flipped a puck from inside the right face-off circle on net that deflected into the goal off a defender's skate with 51 seconds on the first-period clock.
- Buffalo State evened the score with 2:23 left in the second after Ryan Stayner buried a shot inside the left post off a save that rebounded off the pads of Knights junior goalie Devin McDonald.
- Geneseo killed off a five-minute major penalty with just under eight minutes remaining in the third period while Buffalo State also survived a major penalty call that lasted 1:51 into overtime.
- McDonald totaled 27 saves, including five in overtime, to preserve the tie.
- Geneseo finished with a 31-28 advantage in shots as Buffalo State goalie Ian Sylves finished with 30 stops.
Geneseo hosts Fredonia on Saturday (Jan. 20) at 7:00 p.m. in its first home game since Dec. 1.