GENESEO, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo sophomore forward Tyson Empey and sophomore defenseman Cam Russell each scored a goal, but it was the No. 6/7 Knights skating to a 2-2 tie with No. 5/7 Oswego, Friday night in State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) men's ice hockey action at Wilson Ice Arena.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo got on the board with 16:38 left in the first period. Junior defenseman Duggie Lagrone slipped a pass to first-year forward Dan Bosio at the top of the slot where Russell took a drop pass and scored on a slap shot inside the right post for the lone goal of the period.
- The Lakers got on the board 1:02 into the second period after sophomore forward Josh Zizek beat Geneseo junior goalie Devin McDonald from close range to finish an odd-man rush.
- Oswego took a 2-1 lead with 4:39 on the clock after sophomore forward Michael Gillespie tipped a loose puck inside the right post during a scramble in front of the Knights' net.
- Empey scored a power play tally two minutes later on a slap shot from the top of the slot inside the left post for what proved to be the final goal of the game.
- McDonald finished the game with 27 saves, including 12 in the third period and another two in overtime, as Oswego finished the game with a 29-26 advantage in shots.
- Geneseo finished the game with zero penalties, marking the first time since its 3-2 victory over visiting Nichols (Mass.) in the first round of the NCAA Division III Tournament on March 13, 2014.
- Empey's goal was his eighth of the season, tying sophomore forward Conlan Keenan for the team-lead.
- Geneseo hosted its seventh-annual "Teddy Bear Toss" as over 600 stuffed animals were thrown on the ice after its first goal. All the animals will be donated to charities in Livingston County for the holidays.
Geneseo hits the road on Saturday (Dec. 2) for a 7:00 p.m. face-off at Cortland.