MORRISVILLE, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo sophomore forward David Szmyd scored two goals during a decisive 4-0 second period run to lead the No. 6/7 Knights to a 5-1 win at Morrisville in State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) men's ice hockey, Friday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Morrisville (1-4-2, 1-4-0 SUNYAC) scored the lone goal of the first period but the Knights (6-1-0, 4-1-0 SUNYAC) responded with three goals in the first seven minutes of the second.
- Szmyd was left alone on a right-wing rush and scored inside the near post with 17:46 on the clock.
- Less than three minutes later, sophomore forward Andrew Romano took a pass at center-ice and out-skated two defenders to the Mustang net to slip in his first goal of the season.
- Sophomore forward Conlan Keenan finished a two-on-one break by patiently snapping a wrist shot inside the left post for a 3-1 lead at 12:58.
- The Knights built a 4-1 edge after two periods of play after senior forward Sotiri Athanasopoulos collected a turnover just outside the left post of the Morrisville goal and fed Szmyd in the right face-off circle for a one-timer with 2:34 on the clock.
- First-year forward Carson Kelley notched the lone goal of the third period, finishing another two-on-one break with 3:25 on the clock.
- First-year goaltender Aaron MacKay was credited with 24 saves to earn the victory in his first collegiate start.
- Geneseo out-shot Morrisville, 40-25.
- Romano entered the weekend leading the nation with 12 points – all on assists.
- Keenan's tally was his team-high seventh of the season.
The Knights will take on host Morrisville again on Saturday (Nov. 18) starting at 4:00 p.m.