GENESEO, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo junior guard Quinn Carey scored 23 poinst while sophomore forward Tommy Eastman netted 14 and grabbed 11 rebounds to send the Knights past visiting State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) rival Fredonia, 87-53, on Tuesday night at Schrader Gymnasium.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo (6-6, 3-3 SUNYAC) and Fredonia (2-11, 0-7 SUNYAC) went back and forth with the scoring over the first eight minutes, but the Knights used a 20-8 run to balloon their lead to 34-19 with 5:23 remaining in the frame.
- The Knights shot 15-for-29 (51.7%) in the first half and finished the frame on a 7-0 run to take a 46-29 lead into the halftime break.
- In the second half, Geneseo held Fredonia to just 9-for-29 (31.0%) shooting, including 0-for-7 from beyond the arc, while the Knights went 15-for-27 (55.6%) from the floor.
- The Knights outscored the Blue Devils in the second half, 41-24, to pull away and earn the victory.
- Carey recorded his fourth performance of 20 or more points on the season, shooting 8-for-15 from the floor, including 6-for-12 from long range.
- Eastman grabbed his sixth double-double on the year, and has recorded five in his past six games.
- Junior guard Zack Panebianco scored 13 points and passed off a team-best five assists, while sophomore guard Tim Quashie scored a career-high nine.
- 14 Geneseo student-athletes saw playing time while 12 Knights scored.
- The Knights' defense allowed the fewest points of the season, holding Fredonia to 53 points on 22-for-64 shooting, and won the rebounding battle, 43-33.
Geneseo will play host to SUNYAC foe Buffalo State on Friday at Schrader Gymnasium with tip-off scheduled for 7:30 p.m.