GENESEO, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo senior forward Gabriella Clare scored a goal on Senior Day to lead the Knights to a 2-0 victory against visiting New Paltz in State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) play, Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Junior defender Julia Kim took a pass from sophomore midfielder Jordan Penkitis at the top of the circle during a penalty corner and scored on a 16-yard shot with 3:32 on the first-half clock.
- Clare received the ball on the right endline and dribbled through two Hawk defenders to score on a short shot inside the right post with under 10 minutes left in regulation.
- Geneseo (8-4, 4-1 SUNYAC) outshot New Paltz (8-5, 4-1 SUNYAC), 24-10, with a 17-2 advantage in shots on goal.
- The Knights finished with an 11-8 edge in penalty corners.
- Clare is tied for fifth in the SUNYAC with nine goals and 21 points. She also moved into a tie for sixth place in Geneseo history (Sarah Malinak '16) with her 31st career goal.
- Geneseo defeated New Paltz for the first time since a 2-1 win in the 2016 SUNYAC Tournament Semifinals. It was also the first regular season win since 2013.
- The Knights have outscored their last seven opponents 30-3, including its fifth shutout during the run.
- Geneseo sealed its ninth-consecutive postseason berth.
- Clare and classmates Madison Albrecht, Tess Necaise and Lydia Volpe were honored in a pre-game Senior Day ceremony.
Geneseo travels to Cortland on Wednesday (Oct. 17) to close out SUNYAC play at 4 p.m. A victory would clinch no lower than the second seed for the SUNYAC Tournament.