Oct 12, 2018
GENESEO, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo junior forward Elisa Arcara scored one goal but it was visiting Oneonta taking a 2-1 win, Friday in State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) field hockey.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After a scoreless first half, the Red Dragons got on the board with 11:33 on the second-half clock when a Geneseo turnover at midfield led to a 2-on-1 Oneonta break finished off by first-year defender Jenna Dangler.
- The Red Dragons added another goal less than five minutes later after senior midfielder Carissa Warren scored from in front of a crowded Geneseo goal with 6:57 on the clock.
- The Knights scored with 1:27 remaining. Sophomore midfielder Jordan Penkitis inserted a ball from the top of the circle that Arcara redirected around the goalie from seven yards out.
- Geneseo (7-4, 3-1 SUNYAC) outshot Oneonta (8-5, 4-0 SUNYAC), 34-7, with a 14-3 advantage in shots on goal.
- The Knights finished with a 23-4 edge in penalty corners.
- Senior defender Lydia Volpe was credited with her second career defensive save in the second half.
- Geneseo's streak of four shutouts came to an end. The Knights hadn't allowed a goal since the second half of their 5-2 victory at Keuka (Sept. 19).
- Geneseo, Oneonta, and New Paltz entered the day tied for first in the SUNYAC with 3-0 marks. New Paltz defeated host Brockport, 4-3, in the afternoon's other action.