KEUKA PARK, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo first-year forward Grace Dempsey scored two goals to lead the Knights to a 5-2 victory at Keuka, Wednesday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo opened the scoring with 19:32 left in the first half after junior defender Julia Kim scored on a pass from sophomore midfielder Jordan Penkitis on a penalty corner.
- Dempsey scored off a cross from senior midfielder Tess Necaise at 12:42 to make it a 2-0 lead for the Knights.
- Keuka got on the board less than seven minutes into the second half to cut the Geneseo lead in half.
- Dempsey scored what proved to be the game-winning goal off a short pass from junior forward Elisa Arcara with 25:19 on the second-half clock.
- Junior defender Gabrielle Sousa advanced the Knights' lead to 4-1 with a goal on the right side of the net with 16:43 remaining in regulation.
- The Wolves recovered with a goal of their own less than 15 seconds later but Geneseo senior defender Lydia Volpe closed the scoring with 8:10 to play on a short rebound in a crowd.
- Sousa's tally was the first of her collegiate career, while Kim's was her first of the season.
- Geneseo (3-3) outshot Keuka (1-5), 25-2, with an 11-0 advantage in penalty corners.
The Knights travel to Morrisville to kick off State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) play on Saturday (Sept. 22) at 12:00 p.m.