GENESEO, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo junior forward Erin Nolan scored two goals to lead the Knights to a 4-1 victory over visiting William Smith in their home-opener, Wednesday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Nolan got the ball off a long interior pass and turned to beat a Heron defender for a six-yard score just over two minutes into the game.
- Nolan one-timed a pass from senior forward Gabriella Clare inside the far post at 27:18 for what proved to be the game-winning goal.
- Clare tipped in a rebound with just over two minutes on the clock to give the Knights a 3-0 halftime lead.
- First year forward Grace Dempsey collected a rebound during a penalty corner attempt and made it a 4-0 lead with 26:41 left in regulation.
- William Smith (0-2) closed the scoring with 17:20 remaining to avoid the shutout.
- Geneseo won its second-straight game against William Smith, also winning a 4-3 road decision last fall. Prior to last season, Geneseo was 1-18 in the team's 19 previous meetings. The Knights had also never beaten the Herons at home.
- Geneseo outshot William Smith, 16-10, with a 14-3 advantage in penalty corners.
- Geneseo first-year head coach Margaret McConnell defeated her alma mater in her home debut.The first-team All-American defender made three NCAA appearances with the Herons before graduating in 2014.
The Knights will travel to Skidmore on Saturday for a 12 p.m. match.