POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo senior defender Lydia Volpe scored a first-half goal but it was host Vassar earning a 4-1 win in the championship game of the Betty Richey Tournament, Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Brewers scored three goals n the first 13 minutes of the game to take a 3-0 lead that proved insurmountable.
- Volpe put the Knights on the scoreboard in the 28th minute after tipping a shot into the Vassar cage off a pass from senior midfielder Tess Necaise.
- Vassar scored the lone goal of the second half while holding the Knights off the board.
- The Brewers outshot the Knights, 19-8, while finishing with an 8-5 advantage in penalty corners.
- Volpe and sophomore defender Kelly McKeveny each tallied a defensive save.
- First year goalie Natalie Chojnacki was credited with nine saves in the setback.
- Senior forward Gabriella Clare, junior forward Elisa Arcara, junior defender Julia Kim and sophomore midfielder Jordan Penkitis were named to the All-Tournament Team.
Geneseo will host William Smith in its home-opener on Wednesday (Sept. 5) at 7:00 p.m.