Nov 01, 2017
ONEONTA, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo fell, 3-0, at top-seeded Cortland in the semifinals of the State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) Field Hockey Tournament, Wednesday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Cortland opened scoring in the 10th minute during a penalty corner when senior forward Liz Athing tipped a shot from senior forward Anna Branch into the net.
- The Red Dragons added to their lead with 4:06 left on the first-half clock when junior defender Dani Barto scored off a pass from junior midfielder Shannon McGuinness.
- Cortland scored the lone goal of the second half as senior midfielder Megan O'Brien scored on a rebounded shot behind Geneseo first-year goalie Mia Ludwig.
- Fourth-seeded Geneseo was making its eighth-consecutive appearance in the SUNYAC Tournament.
- Geneseo and Cortland have met five times in the SUNYAC Tournament (Cortland leads, 3-2), while today's match marked the fourth semifinal showdown between the teams and first since 2014.
- Cortland was ranked No. 20 in the latest NFHCA Division III poll.
- Geneseo finishes the season with a 10-8 record for its eighth double-digit win total in 10 seasons under head coach Jess Seren.