GENESEO, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo junior forward Gabriella Clare recorded two second half goals, including the eventual game-winner, to help the Knights defeat visiting Elmira, 4-2, Saturday at College Stadium.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo (5-5) opened the scoring in the 15th minute as senior midfielder Morgan Maley poked in a rebound from close range after junior defender Tess Necaise had her shot saved by sophomore goalkeeper Tina O'Donnell.
- The Knights doubled their lead three minutes later when Stafford entered the circle and played a pass to Fasanello who slotted home from inside the crease.
- The Soaring Eagles got on the board in the 23rd minute when senior forward Atu Machika capitalized on a set of deflections in front of the net and scored.
- Elmira (1-9) drew level 45:41 into the game when first-year forward Janie Kemf scored on a one-on-one opportunity on a pass from Machika.
- Gabriella Clare tallied with 22 minutes remaining in the game as she lifted a shot over the goalie's stick to give Geneseo a 3-2 advantage
- The Knights added a cushion in the 57th minute when Fasanello beat her defender and played a cross to the back post that was tipped in by Clare.
- Geneseo earned 17 corners while holding the Soaring Eagles to one.
- The Knights outshot Elmira 32-5, including a 18-1 advantage in the second half
- Clare's two tallies marked her second multi-goal game of the season and fifth of her collegiate career.
The Knights return to action on Friday (Oct. 6) as they host Morrisville in State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) action at 4 p.m.