POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo senior forward Giovanna Fasanello scored two first-half goals and added an assist to lead the Knights to a 7-0 victory over Manhattanville on the opening day of the Betty Richey Tournament, hosted by Vassar.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Fasanello scored the first goal of the game off a deflected clear with a low shot into the right corner of the Vassar cage with 15:55 on the clock.
- Only 1:27 later, Fasanello finished a short shot inside the right post off an assist by senior forward Cara Stafford for the 2-0 lead.
- The Knights made it a 3-0 game with 2:20 left in the first half after first-year defender Julia Kim scored her first collegiate goal off a Fasanello helper.
- Senior midfielder Morgan Maley found the net 1:34 into the second half, sweeping a shot in from in front of the goal off a pass by junior midfielder Tess Necaise, and later converted a penalty stroke with 10:35 left in regulation that made it a 5-0 Knights' lead.
- Senior forward Emma Dempsey scored off an assist from sophomore forward Erin Nolan with 2:41 on the clock
- Junior defender Lydia Volpe collected a loose ball in front of the Manhattanville goal and scored into top right corner as the final horn sounded for the final goal of the game.
- Geneseo avenged a 3-2 overtime loss to Manhattanville in the consolation game of last year's Betty Richey Tournament.
- The Knights finished the game with a 28-7 advantage in shots.
- First-year goalie Mia Ludwig notched four saves to earn her first collegiate victory.
- Volpe's tally was the first of her collegiate career while Nolan's assist was her first point in a Geneseo uniform.
- Fassanello logged her sixth career game in a Knights' uniform with multiple goals, including four outings last season en route to 18 tallies that were the third-highest single-season total in program history.
- Geneseo will take on host Vassar in the championship game of the Betty Richey Tournament on Saturday (Sept. 2) at 3:30 P.M. Vassar defeated Marywood, 1-0, in the day's other contest.