GENESEO, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo Faculty Athletic Representative (FAR) David Granger has been selected as a 2016 NCAA Division III FAR Fellow.
Granger has been a member of the Geneseo faculty since 1999, teaching courses in education, philosophy and humanities. He has also served as the athletic department's FAR since 2012.
The FAR Fellows Institute was launched in 2010 and aims to increase the effectiveness of Division III FARs at the campus, conference and national levels.
"I'm very pleased to have been chosen to participate in the Institute this fall and am really looking forward to it," said Granger. "It should be a great learning opportunity and will no doubt provide me with new resources and ideas for enhancing my work as the Geneseo FAR."
Institute attendees will participate in a three-day professional development program at the NCAA national office in Indianapolis Friday, October 14 to Sunday, October 16. The components of the program provide a thorough examination of best practices and issues surrounding the role and responsibility of the FAR, help FAR Fellows develop the leadership skills necessary to carry out their responsibilities on campus and in their conference and strengthen the network of FARs needed to serve on conference, divisional and association-wide committees.
The Institute will conclude with FAR Fellows committing to taking action on at least one idea. Highlights from 2015 included:
- Establish a Faculty Mentoring Program.
- Share data on student-athlete academic success with faculty.
- Develop athletic advisory board.
- Increase FAR involvement with campus SAAC.
- Attend conference meetings with ADs, Presidents, and SAAC.
- Contact other FARs in the conference to make introductions and share ideas.
- Report to conference peers what was learned at the FAR Institute
- Attend the FARA Annual Meeting and Symposium.
- Nominate students for NCAA post-graduate scholarships.
- Read the Division III monthly update.